Some of you may have heard about ‘Heavy Metals’ but what exactly are they and why should we care?
Heavy metals are naturally occurring elements that have a high atomic weight and density. Examples are mercury, aluminum, cadmium, lead, and arsenic. These metals build up inside our bodies and are often stored within our fat tissue. Body fat is meant to store toxins away from organs, so in that respect, you can thank your body fat (non-visceral) for keeping you from getting overly sick.
Heavy metals are in our environment, food supply, soil, plants, vaccines, deodorants, etc. which makes them very hard to avoid.
Many autistic children are dealing with heavy metal toxicity. Cancer has also been linked to heavy metal toxicity, along with Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s disease.
Some symptoms of heavy metal toxicity are: abdominal pain, constipation, headaches, night sweats, brain fog, breathing and respiratory problems, nausea and vomiting, skin rashes, eczema, and muscle and joint pain.
So what can we do about heavy metals?
- Chlorella is a super food algae that helps combat heavy metal exposure
- Herbs such as parsley and cilantro help latch on to heavy metals in the digestive tract and help expel them
- Broccoli sprouts help detox
- Milk thistle – helps the liver process and detox
- Garlic- contains sulfur and oxidizes metals which helps dissolve them in the body
- Charcoal and bentonite clay can also help detox the system
There are ways to test for heavy metals through blood, stool, urine, and hair but you can detox regardless of being tested. When you detox you may have detox symptoms… about 30% of people will feel worse prior to feeling better.